5 things that make our office a “kid-friendly” environment
December 6, 2018
Taking a child to the dentist can incite some level of nerves in any parent, which is why we at Pediatric Dentistry of New York are always looking for ways to make a visit to our office a fun and comfortable experience.
Here are the top 5 things that make our office a “kid-friendly” environment :
- Waiting room – when you arrive in to the office, children can watch a cartoon on the waiting room T.V., read a book with images of the office and dental procedures so they know what to expect at the appointment, or play a game on the I-PAD while they wait for their appointment.
2. LED enhanced lighting in room – studies have shown that the bright light therapy can help to improve your mood and decrease anxiety, especially in winter months when it is dark earlier. Have your child choose their favorite color and transform the room into a bright and cheery atmosphere.
View this post on Instagram
Can the color of a room make you feel more calm? Studies on light therapy show that background lighting can decrease anxiety. We are always thinking of ways to make our office more kid friendly! New L.E.D. lights are just one way to make your child's dental visit a fun and relaxing experience! Choose your favorite color to create a calming ambience and enhance your comfort! #kidsdentistry #pediatricdentist #nyckidsdentist #pediatricdentistryofnewyork #dentalarcade #dentalhacks #fun #lighttherapy #ledlighttherapy
3. Essential Oil Diffuser – another way to decrease anxiety in the dental office, the essential oil diffuser helps reduce cortisol (stress hormone) levels and increase positive mood in humans. Additionally, it has antimicrobial and antiviral properties. For more information on the studies regarding aromatherapy, follow this link.
4. T.V. Shows during procedure– While parents may want to limit screen time at home, having your child’s favorite T.V. show on during exam, cleaning, or other procedures can help create a familiar environment, distract them from all the tools and sounds of the operatory, and help their appointment go seamlessly as they feel like their favorite character is accompanying them.
5. (Magic) Wand anesthesia– The top fear of most children having dental procedures is “getting the needle”. Our office has state-of-the-art technology called The Wand, Single tooth anesthesia which is a computer assisted system that helps to give the anesthetic in a slower, controlled speed so it is less painful than traditional local anesthesia.
For more information about The Wand follow this link.
All of these things are just tools that our pediatric specialists use along with their experience and training to help to contribute to a more kid-friendly environment so your child can have their best dental experience. For more information about our office, or to set up an appointment for your child, call us at 212 362 -3360.